Preserve @ Play 2023: Saturday, June 10
Celebrate Your Family Within Nature with The Preserve @ Play
Please join us for a special day devoted to children and play on Saturday, June 10 in which we welcome all families with children age 14 and under to enjoy the Preserve for free all day long. The Preserve @ Play is a new annual event that celebrates families getting outside and learning about nature with their budding naturalists. This year our theme is Birds & Blooms and offers a full day devoted to family fun and child-friendly activities. Look forward to games, woodland crafts, sensory exploration, refreshments, live music by Lolly Hopwood, a bird demonstration program by Wilderz Wildlife and more. Enjoy our hiking trails, the children's play areas (R.O.T. Plot and Sycamore Hollows), the Green Labyrinth and all other areas of the Preserve during this day of celebration for the next generation of explorers.
Pre-registration is not required for Preserve @ Play. You will be asked to check in at the entrance gate as normal, where you will be given wristbands for the day.
Activities will be running from 11 am to 3 pm. Read on for the program schedule.
From 11 am to 2 pm:
Meet us inside the Preserve for a wide-range of activities to participate in until 2 pm.
- Live Music with Lolly Hopwood:
- Based in Bucks County, PA, Lolly Hopwood has been performing music for children since 2000. "Kids love to move, dance, play, and be heard. And Lolly is here for that. Let's allow our kids to be KIDS. And let's love them just how they are."
- The Bee Game:
- The object of this game is to collect pollen and place it in the honeycomb before time runs out.
- Bird Hurdles:
- Kids will learn to navigate the dangers that a bird may encounter during migration, imagining that they are birds, migrating to find food and nesting sites and trying to get safely through the day.
- Woodland Crafts:
- Located near Sycamore Hollows, visitors can make their own large or small creatures from clay, sticks and natural materials that will inhabit a small area for the day.
- Nest Building:
- Visitors can make their own small nests (and help us build a human-scale one) made with natural materials that birds would typically use for nest building.
- Sensory Station:
- Located at the gazebo, visitors can use their different senses to engage with the natural world or rest and immerse themselves.
- Moss Exploration:
- Get up close and personal with this hands-on activity about our mossy neighbors.
- Pick-up Stix:
- A traditional game using 30” long willow sticks.
- A “ring toss” game using willow and natural (grapevine) rings.
From 2 - 3 pm:
After other activities end at 2 pm, join us out in the meadows for a bird demonstration program with Wilderz Wildlife, a 501c3 non-profit organization and PA certified and licensed wildlife rehabilitation center serving the greater Philadelphia area, from 2 to 3 pm at The Captain James Moore Pavilion.
After 3 pm:
Planned activities for Preserve @ Play will end at 3 pm after the bird demonstration program, but families are invited to enjoy the Preserve all day long. Our normal hours of operation are still in effect for the event, opening at 9 am and closing at 5 pm, with last gate admission at 4 pm. Admission remains free all day long on Saturday, June 10, whether or not you want to participate in any activities, so long as you have a child 14 and under with you.